Monday, January 8, 2018

Cell phone with macro lens

Happy new year, everybody! Time to get back to blogging.

Lately I have been playing around with a macrolens that I bought for my smartphone. The idea was to be able to take pictures of small structures, in particular fruits or seeds, even when I do not have my proper camera with me. So far the results are mixed.


Here we have the fruit of Hypochaeris radicata (Asteraceae), one of the larger propagules I have tried so far. Not too bad, all in all, but I do not care about the shadow, and obviously the depth of field is an issue.


The above is a mericarp of Malva neglecta (Malvaceae). The surface structure looks nice, but again light conditions and shadows are problematic. I will have to do something about light and the texture of the background.


It works reasonably well for flowers in sunlight, however. Here a tomato flower. As this will likely be the use case for most people I guess one cannot complain. It would be a fair deal given that the lens package cost me only $20 (including wide angle and fish-eye lenses, which I don't really use).

No comments:

Post a Comment